Healthier Black Elders Center (HBEC)
The Healthier Black Elders Center is the community engagement core for the Michigan Center for Urban African American Aging Research. The HBEC has been supported by the Natitional Institute on Aging (NIA) at the National Institue of Health (NIH) for the paste 22 Years. Our goal is to address the health disparities that exist within the Detroit community as such we depend open Detroit older adults to participate in our reserach and help inform processes. It is through this collaboration that we thrive.
- We maintain a Participant Resource Pool (PRP) – A database of older adults willing to engaging in reaserach.
- Educate the public on topics of interest : Arthritis, Blood Pressure, Cancer, Caregiving, Dementia, Depression, Diabetes, Falls and Balance, Heart Disease, Nutrition, Pain and Palliative Care, Prostate Cancer, Sexually Transmitted Disease, and other topics relevant to successful aging
- We train healthcare professionals to assess and treat older African Americans
- We share best research practices with universities, the community and healthcare providers
- We train scholars to research the health of older African Americans
- We educate the public about: Arthritis, Blood Pressure, Cancer, Caregiving, Dementia, Depression, Diabetes, Falls and Balance, Heart Disease, Nutrition, Pain and Palliative Care, Prostate Cancer, Sexually Transmitted Disease, and other topics relevant to successful aging
Wayne State University and the University of Michigan provide faculty who jointly lead this initiative The HBEC facilitates the opperation of the Community Advisory Board and volunteers.
HBEC & Michigan
Our core goal is to encourage older African American adults to consider participating in research. Research is critical to understanding why African Americans are at much higher risk of developing certain diseases and why these diseases have a greater impact on their health and longevity. We've worked to correct this problem by creating a Participant Resource Pool (PRP). If you agree to be part of the PRP, the center guarantees that:
All research projects meet the highest quality federal state and university standards
Your information will be handled with the strictest confidence
You will be considered for research that is of interest to you
You have the right to decline a research project for any reason at any time
More Information for Researchers Interest in Accessing Volunteer Pool:
Research Volunteer Pool - Introduction, Instructions, Applications
IOG Calendar of Events - for Professionals & Students
HBEC Newsletter - for Professionals & Students
HBEC & Michigan Center for Urban African American Aging Research (MCUAAAR) - Website