(SAFE) Success After Financial Exploitation
Success after Financial Exploitation (SAFE) was created by Dr. Peter Lichtenberg, PhD, director of the Institute of Gerontology at Wayne State University and one of the country's foremost researchers in safeguarding seniors from financial exploitation. SAFE is the community engagement component of IOG's Center for Financial Safey & Health. SAFE will:
- Help older adults recover financially and emotionally after being victimized by financial scams or identity theft.
- Educate older adults, and the people who care about them, about scamming and identity theft techniques, identification, protection and reporting.
- Strengthen financial literacy through educational, interactive workshops.
1) We offer one-on-one assistance to recover from acams or ID theft. We can meet in your home or our office. Our assistance is completely safe, confidential and free. Contact us directly or be referred through a partner agency and let us help you:
- Contact credit reporting agencies
- Close accounts that are compromised
- File police reports
- Register consumer complaints
- Place fraud alerts on your credit report
- And more
2) Invite a SAFE expert to speak to your organization. Presentations are free and last about an hour. All materials provided.
- Are You at Risk? - Learn why some people are especially vulnerable to financial predators and how to strengthen your defenses.
- Scams and Identity Theft - Get details on how victims are targeted and manipulated so you can spot threats before savings and identity are gone.
3) Our experts are available to present Taking Control of Your Financial Health a free interactive program for seniors. Topics covered:
- Protecting Yourself From Financial Exploitation
- Understanding Credit
- Household Finances
- Retirement and Estate Planning
For personal assistance or to schedule a workshop or speakers, contact SAFE program coordinator Latoya Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 313-664-2604.
Financial Gerontology - Brief descriptions of IOG research focused on financial issues facing older adults
Financial Decision-Making - Scales and tools to measure the ability of older adults to make independent financial decisions
Taking Control of Your Financial Health - Four interactive workshops to improve financial literacy
Success After Financial Exploitation (SAFE) - One-on-one help to recover from scams or ID theft