Successful Aging through Financial Empowerment (SAFE)
Successful Aging thru Financial Empowerment (SAFE) was created by Dr. Peter Lichtenberg, PhD, director of the Institute of Gerontology at Wayne State University and one of the country's foremost researchers in safeguarding seniors from financial exploitation. SAFE will:
• Educate older adults, and the people who care for them, about scamming and identity theft techniques, identification, protection and reporting.
• Strengthen financial literacy through educational, interactive workshops.
Our Caregiver Empowerment Program offers:
1) One-on-one financial coaching for seniors and their family or friend caregivers who have been a victim of scam or ID theft. We can meet in your home or our office. Our assistance is completely safe, confidential and free. Contact us directly or be referred through a partner agency and let us help you with:
- Scam Prevention or Identity Theft Recovery includes:
- Contacting credit reporting agencies
- Filing police reports
- Closing compromised accounts
- Placing fraud alerts on your credit report
- Registering consumer complaints & more
2) Free Financial Empowerment Workshops - Invite a SAFE expert to speak to your group. Presentations are free and last about an hour. All materials provided.
- Difficult Conversations about finances
- Scams and Identity Awareness: Are You at Risk? - Learn why some people are especially vulnerable to financial predators and how to strengthen your defenses. Get details on how victims are targeted and manipulated so you can spot threats before savings and identity vanish. (Also offered for professionals.)
- Managing Someone Else's Money
- Protecting your Loved One from Scams
For personal assistance or to schedule a workshop or speakers, contact SAFE program coordinator LaToya Hall at email@example.com or 313-664-2608.
Taking Control of Your Financial Health books:
- Protecting Yourself From Financial Exploitation
- Understanding Credit
- Household Finances
- Retirement and Estate Planning
OlderAdultNestEgg.com - Free online tools to access financial decision-making abillites.
Financial Gerontology - Brief descriptions of IOG research focused on financial issues facing older adults
Financial Decision-Making - Scales and tools to measure the ability of older adults to make independent financial decisions
Taking Control of Your Financial Health - Four interactive workshops to improve financial literacy